- Preheat the oven to 140oC/285oF.
- Cut the dates in half, remove the pits and cut into ½-cm/¼-inch thick slices.
- Peel the ginger and finely slice. Mix the dates and ginger with the marga-rine and the unrefined sugar to form a smooth mixture. Add the remaining ingredients and fold into the date mixture.
- Fill a non-greased cake tin with the mixture and bake in the middle of the preheated oven for 40–50 minutes.
- In the meantime, boil down the ingre-dients for the sauce by half in a small pan on a low heat for 5–8 minutes.
- Pour the warm sauce over the still warm pudding and allow to cool.