- Peel the potatoes and the parsnips and cut into 1-cm/½-inch cubes. Cook the potatoes and half of the parsnips in boiling, salted water for about 20 minutes until soft. Drain and leave to steam.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the remaining parsnips on a medium heat until golden brown. Remove the pan from the hob.
- Mash the cooked potatoes and parsnips into a purée with the potato masher. Season well with salt, pepper, nutmeg and chilli powder. Mix in the brown flour and the breadcrumbs and work everything into a dough. Press the dough down flat and leave to cool in the fridge.
- Cut the chives finely. Wash and prepare the spring onions/scallions and finely chop.
- Form the gnocchi dough into long rolls on a floured surface. Cut into 2-cm/¾-inch pieces with a sharp knife. Form these into oval-shaped balls with floured hands and imprint with a fork.
- Cook the gnocchi in portions in boiling, salted water for about 4 minutes (they are done when they float to the surface).
- Heat up the parsnip pieces again on a medium heat. Lift out the cooked gnocchi with a slotted spoon and mix with the parsnip pieces in the pan. Season again with salt and pepper and serve scattered with the chives and the spring onions/scallions.